What are some of the questions we get asked?

At the Australian Skills & Training Academy we want to help you achieve your goals, and we are sure you will have many questions along the way. Here are some of the questions we frequently get asked.

  • Who is the Australian Skills and Training Academy for?

    The Australian Skills and Training Academy, its programs, courses, training and skill development initiatives are for anyone – belonging to any age group, academic background, ethnic or language background, or professional experience who wants to enhance their knowledge, build experience, gain new credentials, get licensed and acquire assessments in an effective, skilled and results-focused manner.

    We are a Registered Training Organisation (RTO Provider No. 40947) and provide nationally recognised certificates for our courses.

  • What is a USI?

    The Unique Student Identifier or USI is a reference number made up of 10 numbers and letters that:

    • creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, even from different training organisations
    • will give you access to your training records and transcripts
    • can be accessed online, anytime and anywhere
    • is free and easy to create and
    • stays with you for life

    If you are a new or continuing student undertaking nationally recognised training, you need a USI in order to receive your qualification or statement of attainment. If you don’t have a USI you will not receive your qualification or statement of attainment.

  • When do the courses start?

    The courses start as soon as you have paid for enrolment.

  • Who is teaching these courses?

    Each of our courses are taught by highly reputed instructors who are proven professionals and expert specialists in their fields of study and career.

    Our hand-picked faculty members include teachers who possess a wealth of academic knowledge and acclaimed industry-centric experience.

    These instructors place a firm emphasis on quality, depth and managing the communication of course materials in an efficient and successful manner.

  • I’m a very busy person; can I still enrol for courses?


    Many of our courses are self-paced, which means you can learn at your own free time, schedule and availability. However, other courses require taking time off work in order to attend.

    Whether you are a mother with kids, a student with academic obligations, a professional with a job or a business owner, all our courses are flexible enough to adjust with your daily, weekly or monthly routine.

  • How long does it take to finish these courses?

    For the self-paced courses, the duration of completion is entirely up to your progress, time and availability.

    The courses that aren’t self-paced, you are expected to adhere to the course requirements for completion, including the time and schedules needed therein.

    Constant instructional direction and support will be available to you by the course instructors and program teachers – regardless of the kind of course you’re enrolled in.

  • When will I have access to the course materials?

    Once enrolled, you will have access to the online course materials and classes, the pertaining modules, workbooks and vital bonus resources & tools – in time before the course begins.

  • What is the refund policy?

    We are confident that you will love all of the courses being offered at Australian Skills and Training Academy and find them immensely effective in powerfully transforming your career progression and fulfilment of goals.

    However, if for any reason you are not satisfied, please contact us at your earliest to discuss applicability of a refund.

    Please note, refunds are dependent upon various conditions and circumstances which need to be met prior to issuance.

  • What is RPL?

    RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) is an assessment process where students can show that they already have relevant knowledge or skills (which they have obtained through previous study or work).

    Students do this by providing the RTO with evidence such as:

    • Photo’s
    • Videos
    • Workplace documentation
    • Transcripts and other certification of previous study
    • Answers to a ‘competency conversation’ that confirms your knowledge
    • Practical demonstration of skills in site visits
  • What happens if I can’t get enough evidence for RPL?

    We will help you understand the range of evidences that you can give us to evidence your competence. If however you still cannot meet these requirements, we then ‘Gap train’ you.

  • What financial assistance is available to employers of apprentices and trainees?

    • The NSW Government:
      • Meets all or part of the cost of formal training delivered by Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) for apprentices and most new entrant trainees
      • Provides employers with payroll tax rebates for new entrant trainees and apprentices
      • Provides workers compensation insurance premium exemptions for employers of apprentices
    • The Australian Government provides:
      • Financial incentives – paid at various points of the training contract (i.e. Commencement, re- commencement and completion)
      • Additional incentives – for employing apprentices and trainees working in skills shortage industries, in non-metropolitan or ‘drought declared’ regional and rural areas, mature-aged apprentices and trainees or school-based apprentices or trainees
      • Disability incentives – for employers of apprentices and trainees with a disability. Assistance includes Disabled Australian Apprentice Wage Support (DAAWS), workplace modifications, tutorial assistance and mentor/interpreter assistance.
  • What is the difference between an apprenticeship and a traineeship?

    • Apprenticeship – a training arrangement between an employer and a person employed in a recognised trade vocation that has been formalised in a training contract registered by Training Services NSWTraineeship – a training arrangement between an employer and a person employed in a recognised traineeship vocation that has been formalised in a training contract registered by Training Services NSW. The traineeship training contract binds the employer and the trainee from the end of the probationary period until the completion of the term of the traineeship.
  • What does assessment mean?

    • Assessment means the process of collecting evidence and making judgements on whether competency has been achieved, to confirm that an individual can perform to the standard expected in the workplace, as expressed in the relevant endorsed industry/enterprise competency standards or the learning outcomes of an accredited course.
  • What assessment methods will be used?

    • This will depend on the requirements of each unit. This may include questioning, direct observation, projects, assignments, case studies, third party feedback, research, etc. In most cases, multiple assessments will be used for each unit.
  • How do I get my trade/work licence?

    • After you have the certification from ASTA, you will need to make an application to the appropriate licensing regulator. You need to ensure you meet all of the regulators requirements when applying for your licence. If you complete ASTA’s online white card course, it is ASTA that will issue your white card. This is a WorkSafe WA card which is valid in all Australian states and territories.The following licenses are issued and regulated by SafeWork NSW: Click here for the link.
      • White Card (Construction induction)
      • Demolition
      • Asbestos
      • High Risk Work
      • Explosives and fireworks
      • Pest management or fumigation

      The following types of licenses are issued and regulated by NSW Fair Trading: Click here for the link.?

      • Trades
      • Specialist trades such as plumbing and electrical
      • Minor trade work
      • Minor maintenance and cleaning
      • Mechanical services
      • Structural landscaping
      • Kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovation
      • Swimming pool building
      • Building
  • What is Gap Training?

    • Gap training is when you have fallen short in the RPL process and you need a little training to complete the process. The amount of training will depend on how big the gap is. You will have to complete the assessment process as part of the gap training process.
  • What is competency based training?

    • Formal training for all students, including apprenticeships and traineeships in NSW is ‘competency-based’. This means that students are assessed on the skills they can demonstrate, the tasks they can perform and the underpinning knowledge they have gained that allows them to effectively perform their work. Employers can progress their apprentice or trainee through the apprenticeship or traineeship as they reach milestones in their competence. In some industries, industrial awards link rates of pay for apprentices to achievement of competencies rather than time served. This is known as competency-based progression.Employers, apprentices and trainees can finalise and complete the apprenticeships and traineeships when the formal qualification has been issued by the RTO and the employer considers the apprentice or trainee competent to industry standard.

Didn't Find the Answer you were looking for?

For more in-depth information relating to queries on various aspects of our course offerings and policies, please refer to each of the following sections below:



International Student




Give us a Call Today
Someone will be on the line to assist you